Add-ons are supplemental features not included in the base policy; instead, they can be chosen and added separately to customise the plan to meet the needs of the insured members. These add-ons can be selected when the base policy is purchased or renewed.
A basic personal or group health insurance policy is a great place to start if you want to protect yourself from rising hospitalisation costs and to be able to receive hassle-free, prompt, and cashless care at top-notch facilities that are part of the insurer’s medical network.
A health insurance calculator is a convenient tool you may utilise online to check the amount of coverage needed based on your requirements.
Guidelines For Improving Base Health Insurance With Appropriate Add-Ons:
The following are some typical add-on choices or riders that the majority of general and health insurance providers in India offer:
- Personal Accident Cover: This choice offers compensation if an accident results in the policyholder’s permanent or temporary total or partial disability or passing away. *
- Daily Hospital Cash: The insured member receives a daily cash allowance under this add-on rider while hospitalised (for a more extended stay than 24 hours).*
- OPD Care: A patient may require various medical services before or after hospitalisation, including routine doctor visits, medications, diagnostic tests, ophthalmic care, and dental care, to name a few.*
- Maternity Benefit: Under this plan, costs associated with childbirth, prenatal and postnatal infant care, including child immunisations, are covered.*
- Room Rent Enhancement: By selecting this option, which allows you to increase the room rent category or amount of the base policy (so that no limits are imposed), insured members can obtain better boarding facilities in a hospital.*
- AYUSH Treatment: For those interested in seeking non-allopathic treatments, this optional health cover covers hospitalisation costs related to Ayurvedic, Yoga, Unani, Siddha, or Homeopathic Treatment.*
- Zone Upgrade: In a given health insurance plan, many insurers have zone-specific premiums and co-payment percentages. For a slight premium difference, this rider enables policyholders outside of Zone-A (major cities) to upgrade the limits or decrease/waive off co-payment clauses, allowing you to receive treatment in higher-zoned cities.*
- Critical Illness Cover: Through this optional coverage, policyholders can receive coverage for severe illnesses like cancer, stroke, heart attack, or renal failure as a lump sum payment after diagnosis.*
- PED Waiting Period Shortening: Health insurance policies typically have a waiting period for pre-existing conditions. By selecting this optional rider, insured members can speed up the process of claiming related expenses by reducing or, in some cases, waiving the PED waiting period for extra premiums.*
- Air Ambulance Services: This add-on option can be beneficial in emergencies when the insured member needs urgent medical treatment, especially outside of their home city. *
- Consumables Coverage: After the pandemic, when the price of consumables like PPE kits, gloves, and masks would make up a sizable portion of the total hospital bills, this rider became more popular.*
* Standard T&C Apply
Insurance is the subject matter of solicitation. For more details on benefits, exclusions, limitations, terms, and conditions, please read the sales brochure/policy wording carefully before concluding a sale.